The benefits of horse riding
Horse riding is a sport that can make you feel happier & healthier
Hopping on a horse can really bring you some benefits: It can give you an incredible mood-boost or it can actually give you a very good work out.
Thanks to its physical rigors, problem-solving requirements, and the fresh air factor, horseback riding has been used as a form of therapy for many conditions, including (but not limited to) cerebral palsy, autism, anxiety, traumatic brain injuries, and depression.
There are a number of reasons, why horseriding makes your life better. Here are a few of our favorite health benefits of horseriding
All equestrian experiences provide a full-body workout. Specifically, riding is classified as an isometric exercise, meaning it requires you to contract certain muscles or muscle groups to keep your body in a specific position. Horseback riding can help you achieve better core strength and balance because it is a form of static strength training. After riding, you’ll notice that your abdominal, pelvic, and back muscles have become stronger and more stable.
- All-around exercise: Riding a horse helps the condition of your whole body
- Burns calories: riding at a walk, trot or canter for 45 minutes can burn up to 200 calories.
- Better balance: isometric exercises help you improve balance
- You are always out in fresh air: We all know that getting outside more is good for our mental and physical health, no matter what your preferred activity may be.
- You reduce stress and become a happier person: any physical activity triggers the body to release certain hormones that can boost your mood for the better. But unlike other physical workouts, horseback riding adds in animal interaction.
- Better cognitive function: If you’re looking for a new hobby that helps make you smarter, hopping on the horse may be a good idea. Riding horses can improve a child’s cognitive ability. The theory is that vibrations produced by horses are thought to activate the sympathetic nervous system, which can improve learning. Horseriding can also be very interesting as a therapy to those with behavioral issues (such as ADHD) or anyone looking for a natural cognitive boost.
Ranch Siesta Los Rubios
Our favorite place to go horseriding is definitely Ranch Siesta Los Rubios, here at the Costa Del Sol, situated between Marbella and Estepona.
It is a Ranch where all ages are welcome for their own favorite horse-activity. Whether you want lessons, or go on a hack, Caroline has a suitable activity for your level. They have wonderful, forward and responsive horses, matched to every rider.
Caroline is amazing with children (having 4 of her own) and owns Ranch Siesta Los Rubios. Patient, kind but tough, Caroline always gets the best out of her young riders.
She has taught a huge amount of children over the years, encouraging them with a huge variety of learning and riding experiences. And fills the school with giggles and encouragement.
As parents, you can be assured that your children are safe. Sit and watch. You’ll probably want to join in when you see what they get up to!!
Now that you know that horseriding has many benefits, do not hesitate, and book an amazing outdoor-experience!
Even a beginner is safe to go on a “saddle up experience“!
Have fun at Ranch Siesta Los Rubios !